Friday, August 1, 2008

eat pray love

monday monday. I have an early break at work today, it's kind of nice to have some free morning time. I'm eating my new favorite snack--- a "fitness muffin" from Woodstar. it's sort of a carrot/rasin/ bran muffin.... de-lish!
as usual, the post trunk show period has me a little worn out in terms of studio production. I'm getting back into some fine art after last weeks total break in which I don't think I made a single thing. artist + writer Sabrina Ward Harrison started the true living project a few years ago this is what she wrote about it:


Two years ago I ended up in a field of grass hip high. This is where I began to make the body work that has come to be called The True Living Project.

E.E. Cummings said a poet a “someone who is abnormally fond of that precision which creates movement”. Which is to say the highest form of concentration possible: fascination; to report on the electrifying experience of being.

On a daily basis we teeter on the edge of humanity losing history through the fading cultural landscape of our country and our interconnectedness as human beings. Though unconscious development and historical neglect. As we have barreled deeper and deeper into a technological / result driven 21st century, now more than ever I do believe we need to be brought home to the presence of our living. To allow the restful validation of your own tender true humanity, may this work be a living ode to our living.

I am striving to create both a visual and emotional unfolding through the textural interchange of photography, sound, collage, film and found objects.

As you observe, as you listen, may you rest into that place where this moment, and your memory, exist.


*** I think that the true living project is a fabulous title for a body of work. I've been using the ideas and the title as a way to think about and process my own work. at this point, I know that my work falls into a couple of categories. the first is the studio work--- items which I make many of. the second is the fine art, the true living project, which is the work that I do to document, memorialize, record and at the same time figure out how I feel and what I think. here is the beginning of the most recent piece (quite recent too, I started it yesterday afternoon!)

so we'll see where that one goes.......... I can't wait to work on it more this afternoon. this work is so freeing, it's good to be without that pressure of craftsmanship. it's good to work with things that I've collected and which are not yet tamed or designed.

I'm reading Elizabeth Gilbert's book eat pray love, I just read the part when she meets a 9th generation Balinese medicine man named Ketut. He tells her, " to find the balance you want, this is what you mush become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two. That way you can stay in the world. But you must stop looking at the world thru your head. You must look thru your heart instead."

1 comment:

Sharon Telschow said...

Dear Molly, When are you coming back to Savannah? -Sharon

PS I've got a hankering for stitching.